16 giugno 2008

A good move!

Da Vinci Code movie banned from filming in church
By ARIEL DAVID, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jun 16, 11:50 AM ET

ROME - Rome's diocese said Monday it has barred the producers of "Angels & Demons" from filming in two churches for the prequel to the "The Da Vinci Code," the popular book and film that angered many Catholic leaders.

Producers of the film, directed by Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks, were turned down because the movie "does not conform to our views," said Monsignor Marco Fibbi, a spokesman for the diocese.

The crew had asked to film in the churches of Santa Maria del Popolo and Santa Maria della Vittoria, two architectural jewels in the heart of Rome that include paintings by Caravaggio, sculptures by Bernini and a chapel designed by Raphael.

Permission was denied in 2007, but the issue surfaced only now that filming is ongoing in Rome, Fibbi said. The Sony-produced film was put on hold during the Writers Guild of America strike that ended in February and is now scheduled for release in May 2009.

Fibbi's comments first were reported this week by the Italian entertainment magazine "TV Sorrisi e Canzoni." "It's a film that treats religious issues in a way that contrasts with common religious sentiment," Fibbi told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "We would be helping them create a work that might well be beautiful but that does not conform to our views."

Fibbi acknowledged that the controversy over writer Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" and its blockbuster movie version had weighed on the decision.

The story drew anger and prompted calls for boycotts by church leaders worldwide with the idea that Jesus married and fathered children and by depicting the conservative Catholic movement, Opus Dei, as a murderous cult.

"This is a prequel to 'The Da Vinci Code' and it's clear that the theme is similar," Fibbi said. He added that the ban would not stop the crew from filming the exterior of the churches.

Brown's "Angels and Demons" is a religious thriller combining an ancient secret brotherhood called the Illuminati, code-cracking, a papal conclave and a high-tech weapon threatening to destroy the Vatican.

It features Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon of "The Da Vinci Code" fame, played by Hanks in the movie.

Calls to Sony Pictures in London and Rome were not immediately returned Monday.

Who does Ron Howard think he is... he expects the Church to aid in his film which slanders Catholicism, and basically tells all Christians they are believing a well-crafted pack of lies? I hope Angels and Idiots bombs in the box office just like the Da Vinci Crap did.

Prelate: Diplomacy Isn't Feeding Zimbabwe

Church Leaders Urge South Africa and Others to Step Up Pressure

ROME, JUNE 13, 2008 (Zenit.org).- Quiet diplomacy has been offered as the solution to the Zimbabwe crisis by its neighbors' leaders, but quiet diplomacy is not feeding the people, lamented Church officials.

In a joint statement today, the presidents of Caritas Internationalis and the Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference warned that Zimbabwe's suspension last week of international aid activities, coupled with its spiraling political violence, means millions of people are suffering.

Cardinal Oscar Rodríguez and Archbishop Buti Tlhagale called on the international community, especially South Africa, to press the government of Zimbabwe to reverse the suspension of international aid efforts and stop the violent repression of the people.

Caritas is one of the groups suspended by a government ban instated last week on foreign aid workers, supposedly because the aid organizations have lent support to the opposition party competing for the presidency in the June 27 runoff election.

Caritas members were directly feeding over 1 million people in Zimbabwe, and their projects helped some 3 million more.

The U.N. Children's Fund (UNICEF) reported today that some half million Zimbabwean children are no longer getting the treatment and food they need since the government ban.

As an example of the new policy, according to the Associated Press, a 20-ton shipment of U.S.-donated grain, beans and oil headed to a school in eastern Zimbabwe was taken over and then distributed to supporters of President Robert Mugabe at a rally last week.

Let them eat

The statement from Cardinal Rodríguez and Archbishop Tlhagale called the situation "shocking and disastrous."

The cardinal said: "That food is being denied to people facing starvation is a grave evil. The government of Zimbabwe must also ensure that aid workers are able to work in a secure environment without threats of violence. The scale of the current political violence and threats is unacceptable.

"Restrictions on humanitarian workers and increasing violence severely hamper the Church in carrying out its mission to provide care and assistance to those most in need."

Archbishop Tlhagale stated that the situation in Zimbabwe no longer allowed for mere diplomacy: "Quiet diplomacy is not feeding people, but allowing the current structures to threaten the very survival of the extremely vulnerable.

"This situation is fast losing the Zimbabwe government and those who support it any sympathy that there might have been for their concerns. This post colonial throwback rhetoric by Zimbabwean authorities must cease. Let them prove that they have the interests of ordinary Zimbabwean at heart by giving them food."

Source: http://www.zenit.org/article-22896?l=english

14 giugno 2008

Padding the Pockets of Planned Parenthood

source: http://www.sba-list.org/

There are several ways that Congress forces taxpayers like you to fund abortion advocates. A prime example is the Title X Program, which funds family planning services. This program is a hefty source of funding for Planned Parenthood and other abortion advocates. Nearly one quarter of all Title X funds go to Planned Parenthood clinics. Planned Parenthood received millions of dollars through this program last year and you can be sure they'll ask this Congress for an even greater funding increase this year.

According to federal regulations, all Title X clinics must offer referrals for abortions and dispense all forms of contraception. These clinics are not required to notify parents of minors who seek abortions or contraception. This loophole allows sexual predators to access contraception and obtain abortions to cover up the abuse of their victims. Last year, a Title X-funded Planned Parenthood clinic in Cincinnati, Ohio came under fire for refusing to report a disturbing case of incest. A young girl was brought by her abusive father to the clinic to receive an abortion. When the girl confessed her situation to clinic workers, no report was made to law enforcement. Planned Parenthood workers simply sent her back home with birth control, and her abuse continued for the next one and a half years. A sophomore studying at UCLA recently released shocking recordings uncovering blatant racism at Planned Parenthood clinics around the country.

A hired actor called the development offices of various Planned Parenthood sites and ask that the potential donation be only used to abort black babies. Not a single person with whom the actor spoke said no. In fact, one woman said the request was “understandable” and that she was “excited” to process it. Clinics who put their bottom line before the well-being of children and who turn a blind eye to a racist agenda are not deserving of taxpayer funds! Contact Congress today and urge them to oppose any efforts to increase the Title X program.